Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Today

Early this morning as I was worshiping the Lord, the word "today" was being underscored in my heart and mind.

The Holy Spirit was reminding me that today is the only day I need provision for and that there is sufficient for today.

In days of increasing uncertainty in the financial arena, it's a comfort know and to live in the reality that God's provision is for one day at a time - today. We have grown accustomed to finding peace and security in the fact that we have "saved for a rainy day", and now the Lord is lovingly allowing all false securities to begin to unravel. I believe He's going to bring His Bride to a place of utter dependence on Him by the time He returns.

"Give us this day our daily bread..." In teaching us to pray, the Lord Jesus says to ask the Father to give us today our daily bread. I admit that I don't do this very much, and it's probably because I have enough in my refrigerator for many days (figuratively speaking), and I don't even think of asking Him to give me my daily bread today.

But I want to learn this kind of daily dependence on Him; and so I encourage you (and myself) to begin to ask Him regularly for His provision and to be content with having today's bread even if I don't know where tomorrow's bread is coming from. I believe the simple practice of asking daily for my food with thanksgiving will create in me a mindset that looks constantly to Him as my Provider rather than at other sources.

Father, thank You that You are the Source of all Life and that You faithfully provide for Your own. Send Your Spirit to remind us to look always and only to You as the One Who provides our daily bread and to ask You to give us the bread we need today, leaving tomorrow in Your capable and loving hands. Thank You, dear Father!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:26 AM

    thank you Nita, the Lord knows that i needed this TODAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! This was really encouraging to read! As I was reading the blog my thoughts of worry from throughout the day were colliding with the beautiful truth of looking to Him for TODAY's provision.
    Just like Kellie..I needed to read this today!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts for Lent (10) - Authorized for Risk

This is the final post for this Easter season from Walter Brueggemann's Lent devotional,  A Way Other Than Our Own . We find ourselves i...