Thursday, May 20, 2010

Good News about God: The Lord is My Light

Oswald Chambers: "When we preach we are not simply proclaiming how people can be saved from hell and be made moral and pure; we are conveying good news about God."

Good news about God: The Lord is my Light. (Psalm 27:1; John 1:4,5; I John 1:5)

Light is a big topic, so I'm going to approach this reality about God by simply saying that without light, there is no life. Instead, the fear of death reigns with all of its manifestations, such as fear of man, fear of loss, fear of failure, etc.

This truth about God is great news and tells us something about His nature that is important for us to grasp by the Spirit in order to see Him rightly. The news that God is Light speaks clearly to us that He is the Source of all life. There is no trace of death and darkness in Him; death is the ultimate enemy. Jesus said of Himself in the Gospel of John that He is the Light and the Life, and it is His light and life that has overcome death and darkness.

It's important to grasp this truth about God because in order to experience the dispelling of the darkness/confusion of death's impact on our hearts and minds, we must tie the soul's anchor to the reality that because God is light, His countenance is full of light, and it is through looking into His countenance (face) that life and light are imparted to us.

If I am to live in this age without the darkness and confusion of the fear of death in all its forms, I must have the light of His countenance (His smile) shining on me! Because He is all Light and Life, I can have the assurance that His countenance is filled with light towards me and that there is no shadow over His face related to me. If my picture of Him when He looks at me is one of a scowl (darkness) on His face, I will not "flower" into who I truly am in Him but will want to hide from Him. In my moments of failure is when I most need to know that His face is full of light towards me, because it's that which will motivate me to cling to Him and thereby find light for my darkness.

God is Light; in His countenance is no darkness at all; instead we find favor in Jesus, and in His favor, is life. This is good news about God. Isaiah says that He will be our everlasting light (Isaiah 60:20), so for both now and forever we will be dependent on His shining smile for life.

In order to receive His light, I must by faith look into His shining countenance. The following are several Scriptures that you may want to meditate on related to God and light: Numbers 6:25; Psalm 27:1; 139:11,12; Isaiah 60:20; Daniel 2:22; Micah 7:8; John 1:4,5; 8:12; I Timothy 6:15,16; I John 1:5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following Jesus to the "There"

In Matthew 26:31 Jesus promises his disciples that after his resurrection, he will go ahead of them to Galilee.  In chapter 28, the angel a...