Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Restructuring the Brain - Exercise #4

This will be the final post in this series on restructuring the brain. (See the introductory post:  http://nitasbookclub.blogspot.com/2012/10/restructuring-brain.html)

This time I'm sharing two very simple spiritual disciplines that can help us as we seek to cooperate with the Lord's transforming work in the renewing of our mind.

Imagining Solid Footing
This simple exercise is taken from a blog post by Kathy Escobar (see this link for complete post: http://kathyescobar.com/2012/09/21/formation-friday-security/). She writes:

"Psalm 40:1-3.
“I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.
he lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
he put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.”

Often, as a spiritual practice, I try to put both feet on the ground, sit up straight, and take a few really deep breaths, noticing my feet on solid ground underneath me.  It helps turn my attention away from what feels like sinking sand underneath me and remember that I’m okay...that God’s with me...that my heart may be overwhelmed, but there’s a rock that’s higher than I underneath me (Psalm 61)."

Repeating Short Phrases
This is a practice that I recommend to my students to help focus the mind:

Pick a one-liner from Psalm 119, not more than 5-6 words long. The line that I have used for years now is from verse 94: "I am Yours; save me..." There are many, many such phrases in Psalm 119 or throughout the psalms. It should be short enough that you can say it in a breath.

Ask the Spirit to remind you (or ask a friend to remind you) to repeat your chosen phrase throughout the day from time to time. If you are taking some time for concentrated prayer and find your mind wandering around, then simply repeat your phrase over and over. Don't worry about whether you are concentrating on it. In time this will help you focus, but it does take a long time to create a new pathway in your brain so you need to be patient.

The saints of God have practiced these sorts of exercises throughout human history without the scientific understanding of their value to the brain. Seems that God may have known this all along! May His grace rest upon you as we work with Him in bringing the mind into alignment with Him and His life and truth.
 

4 comments:

  1. Nita,
    Just a word or two of thanks for your interesting blog. Sometime back I ran across your site while doing some research on George MacDonald-a favorite of mine-you too it would seem. At the time you were reviewing the book The Bible Made Impossible. I just finished that material and look forward to getting in on more that you have written. Thanks for your candor and heart for God.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, I'm not very technologically adept, so I don't know if I replied properly to your kind words so that you would receive it. In case you didn't, I wanted to let you know that there is a reply to you on my blog site. Thank you again!

      Delete
  2. Greg, thank you for the encouragement of your kind words! I plan to review another book either in December or in January and will get word out soon about which one. The Lord has me on an amazing and fulfilling journey with Him in these latter years of my life in Him and I love sharing it.
    Yes, when I discovered George MacDonald's writings about 30+ years ago, I was so struck by them that he became and still is one of my all-time favorites for a variety of reasons. One big reason I believe his writings are impactful is that he discovered something of God's great heart and was willing to go through great loss to proclaim that. He rose above the small worldview of the church of his day, and probably with no conscious intentions for this, his voice became a prophetic voice that still resounds today. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a well written and compassionate article. I found your ideas and wisdom encouraging and helpful. brians clubs

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts for Lent (10) - Authorized for Risk

This is the final post for this Easter season from Walter Brueggemann's Lent devotional,  A Way Other Than Our Own . We find ourselves i...