Thursday, September 25, 2008

We Would See Jesus - Chapter Three

Chapter Three: Seeing Jesus as All We Need

Roy and Revel Hession write wonderfully about the name of Jesus in this chapter. They draw from the Old Testament revelation of "Jehovah" and the two-fold meaning of that name:
  1. The "I AM", the Ever-present One, "who stands outside of time and to whom there is no past nor future, but to whom everything is present...To Him our lives with their past and future are all present; our yesterdays as well as our tomorrows are all now to Him"
  2. The grace of God...in other words, while "I AM" speaks of His utter completeness in Himself, the further revelations of Him in the Old Testament (the name "Jehovah" compounded with another word, such as Jehovah-Shalom, etc.) reveal Who He is related to humans. "...the moment human need and misery present themselves, He becomes just what that person needs...The name 'Jehovah' is really like a blank cheque. You can fill in what he is to be to you - just what you need, as each need arises..."

The Old Testament reveals seven compound names for Jehovah, and these are known by those of us who love and know God. But the focus of this book is to fix our eyes on the "supreme compound of Jehovah - JESUS."

The name Jesus means "I am your Salvation." This introduces the idea that man is not only in need of help in our weakness and brokenness but in our sinfulness. Our greatest need is for a Savior and Lord in our sinful state. The authors go on to say,

"...where there is sin, there is always Jesus - seeking to forgive sin and recover all the damage that it has caused. He is not shocked at human failure; rather He is at home in it, drawn by it, knowing what to do about it, for he in Himself and in His blood is the answer to it all...God, in giving Him to be the answer to our sin, has given Him to be the answer to all our other needs, both spiritual, moral and material, for 'how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?' (Rom. 8:32)"

And so we must see ourselves as sinners (not just theoretically but under the Spirit's conviction) if we are to have a revelation of the beauty of Jesus..."Apart from seeing ourselves as sinners, we shall see no beauty in Jesus that we should desire Him."

This week as I re-read this, I fell in love with the Lord Jesus once again (this is a lifelong experience with each fresh illumination from the Spirit about Jesus). In recent years I have come to realize how hopelessly lost I am without Him and how I need Him to save me every day from sin and selfishness. And He does it as I lean heavily on Him. Because of my life history within the "holiness" movement (both in upbringing and in the mission that I've been a part of), I lived many years of my life in God with subtle spiritual arrogance about my condition in God. I love what the Spirit has given me through the holiness movement but realize now that it is only a piece of the truth of the living God.

Now I'm much "happier" in a fuller revelation of my need and of the One Who satisfies my every need, whether it be forgiveness of sins or strengthening of my inner life or my physical body, etc. I'm no longer surprised at my sin and weakness and am learning more each day to run to Him immediately rather than stay afar from Him in my spiritual pride.

Like the Shulammite in Song of Songs, I am discovering Him to be "altogether lovely (beautiful)"! He is the "I AM", fully complete in Himself while He is also the grace of God poured out lavishly in being the "I AM _____ (the name that answers whatever the need is)". The cross is more meaningful and beautiful to me as I realize my condition as a sinner saved by grace and my need for His salvation every moment.

So my prayer for us this week is that the Lord would give us the wonderful gift of conviction of sin; without that, we could take what the author says in this chapter and come under a lot of false condemnation and accusation, or we could try to make ourselves feel badly about our sin. Only the Holy Spirit can convict of sin, and only in true conviction are we empowered to leave the sin behind. Holy Spirit, come and reveal sin as You interpret it and reveal JESUS, the answer to my sin. Oh, thank You, Lord Jesus, that You are attracted to sinners and weak people. Manifest Your jealous love for us and Your power to deliver! Thank You...

Next week will be chapter four: Seeing Jesus as the Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts for Lent (10) - Authorized for Risk

This is the final post for this Easter season from Walter Brueggemann's Lent devotional,  A Way Other Than Our Own . We find ourselves i...