Thursday, October 02, 2008

We Would See Jesus - Chapter Four

Chapter Four: Seeing Jesus as the Truth

In the previous chapter, the authors spoke of Jesus as the One Who fills every human need; in this chapter they begin to focus in on what some of those human needs are.

"What, then, is our first and basic need? It is to know the truth - about ourselves and about God. Until we do so, we are living in a realm of illusion and we are impervious to the word of grace; it seems largely irrelevant to our case. The breaking in of the truth about ourselves and about God, and the shattering of the illusion in which we have been living, is the beginning of revival for the Christian as it is of salvation for the lost."

The writers go on to speak at length of the self-deception that we live in and how much we need a revelation both of our own sinfulness and of God's love for us. They give a brief study on the Old Testament sacrifices and of Jesus being crucified "outside the camp" (Heb. 13:11-13), and the implications of that related to the profound fallenness and sinfulness of humans. (I hope you have the book and will read this chapter, because I'm not going to try to summarize it much this time.)

I want to focus briefly on the opening quote above from this chapter; I'm finding increased desire within me to be filled with light, the light of God in Christ Jesus. And so I've been asking the Holy Spirit for the gift of conviction and of contrition, true godly sorrow over my condition apart from Him.

As the authors suggest, truth must break in by the power and grace of the Holy Spirit, or we "live in a realm of illusion" and grace seems irrelevant to our situation. Why would I need the grace and mercy of God if I have no revelation of my need and my lostness even as His child?

I've lived many years in the Lord without a deep appreciation and desperate sense of need of His grace because I have ignorantly lived in the world of religion, my mind darkened by the illusion of being right because of adherence to the law (religious conformity). I'm grateful for the measure of light I've had but am increasingly desirous to know Jesus (the Truth) more fully.

Getting a doctrine correct is not the same as knowing the Truth, Who is Christ Jesus; I've discovered that any clever person can manipulate truth when it's just words. But when I encounter Truth as a Person, I find He cannot be manipulated and won't be conformed to my image.

And so I love how this chapter ends with John 3:20,21 "...everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does the truth come to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen..." The authors point out that while we would expect the contrast of "practicing evil" to be "doing good", Jesus doesn't say that. He says that the contrast of practicing evil is to "do the truth," in other words, it's to be honest in regard to our evil.

This honesty about our evil must be the work of the Holy Spirit; we can be just as religious about saying how bad we are (when there is not true conviction by the Holy Spirit) as when we deceive ourselves about not having sin.

And so we are happily at the mercy of God, and the best thing we can do is to cry out for His break-in of truth, and He will do it in His time and in His way. All He asks of me is that I obey whatever I believe He is saying to me (within the boundaries of His Word and of His nature).

So, Spirit of Jesus, Spirit of Truth, come and fill us with Light...once again I ask you for the gift of conviction of sin and a godly sorrow that empowers us to "do the truth" so that we are a people who can more fully receive and celebrate Your grace and love! We love You, our Lord...thank You for hearing our prayer.

Next week's chapter is chapter 5: Seeing Jesus as the Door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts for Lent (10) - Authorized for Risk

This is the final post for this Easter season from Walter Brueggemann's Lent devotional,  A Way Other Than Our Own . We find ourselves i...