Friday, July 27, 2007

Hunger for God

I just returned from a few days in Vancouver (Canada) where I was with a group of dear Korean brothers and sisters who are in missionary training.

This is the fifth year I have visited this group to teach and share the life and love of Jesus with them. More than ever before I encountered hearts deeply hungering for the Lord Jesus and wanting to know Him intimately.

I'm finding this true everywhere I go - that desire and hunger for God among His people is intensifying more and more. In his book, The Normal Christian Life, Watchman Nee says the following in reference to the fragrance of Mary of Bethany's anointing of Jesus (John 12:3):

>"God does not set us here first of all to preach or to do work for him. The first thing for which he sets us here is to create in others a hunger for himself. That is, after all, what prepares the soil for the preaching...We cannot inject spiritual appetite by force into others; we cannot compel others to be hungry. Hunger has to be created, and it can be created in others only by those who carry with them the impressions of God...

"What are people sensing about us? We may leave many kinds of impressions:...the impression that we are clever, that we are gifted, that we are this or that or the other. But...the impression Elisha left was an impression of God himself (II Kings 4:9).

"This matter of our impact upon others...demands that I seek his pleasure, that I seek to satisfy him only, and I do not mind how much it costs me to do so."

The Lord bless you this week and cause hunger for Him to grow in all of our hearts until we cannot live without knowing Him in the fullest meaning of the word. Holy Spirit, come and do Your good work in our hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following Jesus to the "There"

In Matthew 26:31 Jesus promises his disciples that after his resurrection, he will go ahead of them to Galilee.  In chapter 28, the angel a...