Saturday, March 14, 2015

The Best Investment and the Return on Investment

This week I thought I'd share a simple story from my life that bears out the return on investment that we get with God.

A couple of years ago on Thanksgiving I wrote a very short and simple affirming statement on the back of a business card and gave it to a dear lady who was having dinner with our family that day. I had taken a few minutes to genuinely think about her and the value of her personhood and shared the thought that came to my mind for her.

She was so struck by those simple few words that ever since then, she remembers me with great affection and has a heart to do anything for me if she can.

Think of it! I invested a few minutes of time and care; the return on that has been a friendship, the value of which can't be measured. The best investments you'll make are investments in people, just as Jesus did.

We don't always find out the return on our investments in humans, but knowing how utterly generous God is, we can be sure the return is balanced in our favor. I know you readers have many such stories as well; it's encouraging to pause and remember some of these stories from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts for Lent (10) - Authorized for Risk

This is the final post for this Easter season from Walter Brueggemann's Lent devotional,  A Way Other Than Our Own . We find ourselves i...