Sunday, May 22, 2016

Aiming at Love in the Pursuit of Knowledge

In recent years I've had a growth spurt in knowledge and understanding of God, resulting in mindset shifts which have in turn resulted in more freedom, joy and love - unlike what I have ever experienced before in Him.

There is something seductive about gaining knowledge, even spiritual or theological knowledge. It has the power to delude the learner into thinking he/she is superior to others. This was what the tree of knowledge of good and evil was about - pride and superiority. Paul says in 1Corinthians 8:1 that knowledge "puffs up" while love "builds up."

Would to God we followers of Jesus would all be growing in knowledge of all sorts, but if love is not our goal in the pursuit of knowledge (even when it's the knowledge of God), we are unwittingly feeding pride and superiority. Aiming at love while growing in knowledge is what it means to live from the tree of life, Jesus.

As I continue to grow in knowledge now, I try to see myself in Christ Jesus, He being the One dispensing the knowledge, feeding me. There are times when I sense His quiet voice within me saying to pause reading or studying; and I'm learning that even though it may be wonderful and good material, if He is slowing me down, it's because He knows how much and how fast I should go in order not to be led down the road of spiritual arrogance where I would see others as inferior to myself.

Eating of the tree of life is about growing in love as we grow in knowledge - that is only possible with Jesus' leadership. The goal of all learning is to love - to receive the love of God and then to give that love away to others. If I'm not growing in love and tenderness towards others as I'm growing in knowledge, it may be a sign that I need to reevaluate why I want to grow in knowledge and turn again to the Spirit of God for help to aim at love.

"Let love be your greatest aim." I Cor. 14:1 (TLB)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts for Lent (10) - Authorized for Risk

This is the final post for this Easter season from Walter Brueggemann's Lent devotional,  A Way Other Than Our Own . We find ourselves i...