Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Benefit of Doubt


benefit of the doubtLast week Greg Boyd posted a piece on his blog from another blog that is a great introduction to his newest book, Benefit of the Doubt (to be released next month - see here). This article was written by a young mother whose 4 year old son died last year with a brain tumor. She says in her piece, 

"Over the years I've had a lot of misconceptions about faith and doubt. I've equated faith with certainty. I've considered doubt to be a sign of spiritual immaturity or even an absence of salvation.  So for most of my life, I've stuffed my reservations, fears, and downright oppositions toward God. I thought He was seeking certainty, my stoic profession of absolute confidence in His plans, He word, and His heart. I was afraid to wrestle.

But Jacob wasn't. Jacob wrestled with God all night long on the riverbank (Gen. 32:22-31). He refused to let go until God blessed him. God renamed Jacob 'Israel' after that, and his descendants became the Israelites, "The Wrestlers." They were people unafraid to wrestle with God, and unafraid to be honest..."

To read the whole story and also to hear Boyd's short video commentary on the place of doubt in our growth, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Following Jesus to the "There"

In Matthew 26:31 Jesus promises his disciples that after his resurrection, he will go ahead of them to Galilee.  In chapter 28, the angel a...