Friday, December 27, 2013

God is Always Doing His Best for Every Man

In the final days of this year, I will be quoting from one of my all-time favorites, George MacDonald, whose writings have deeply influenced my view of God all through my life...

"I believe in Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God, my Elder Brother, my Lord and Master...I believe that to obey him is to ascend the pinnacle of my being...I believe that he is my Savior from myself, and from all that has come of loving myself...I believe he died that the justice, the mercy of God, might have its way with me, making me just as God is just, merciful as he is merciful, perfect as my Father in heaven is perfect...


I believe that he died to deliver me from all meanness, all pretense, all falseness, all unfairness, all poverty of spirit, all cowardice, all fear, all anxiety, all forms of self-love, all trust or hope in possession, to make me merry as a child, the child of our Father in heaven...

I believe that God is just like Jesus...I believe that God is absolutely, grandly beautiful..with the beauty that creates beauty, not merely shows itself beautiful. I believe that God has always done, is always doing, his best for every man...that he is not a God to crouch before, but our Father to whom the child-heart cries exultantly, 'Do with me as thou wilt.'

I believe that there is nothing good for me or for any man but God, and more and more of God, and that alone through knowing Christ can we come nigh to God..."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts for Lent (10) - Authorized for Risk

This is the final post for this Easter season from Walter Brueggemann's Lent devotional,  A Way Other Than Our Own . We find ourselves i...