Saturday, April 12, 2014

6 Reasons I Don't Spend Time and Energy Regretting...

As I reflect on how much my thinking has changed about God and His kingdom, it's tempting to regret some of what I've been taught and have taught to many over the years. But the Spirit, who loves to encourage us, reminds me of a few bedrock realities that bring peace and hope to my heart:

First, the words of Paul to Timothy come to mind: "I’m reminded of your authentic faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice. I’m sure that this faith is also inside you."  2 Timothy 1:5 (CEB)  Along with beliefs about Jesus that I inherited but now wonder about, I have always had authentic/sincere faith in Him. From my vantage point in life now, I see that this counts more to God than correct beliefs.

Second, He reminds me that I was born into a particular culture and generation and family that shaped my ways of thinking and feeling about Him and others and myself and about life in general. This was His doing and it wasn't a mistake. He doesn't hold this against me.

Third, He tells me that all healthy humans evolve in their thinking throughout their life and that this should be happening until the end of one's life.

Fourth, He shows me that it is the Person of Jesus who saves us, not correct beliefs about Him.

Fifth, He reminds me repeatedly that I will never be fully "correct" in my understanding of Him; no matter how much I grow and learn of Him, there will yet be an eternity of learning ahead of me because of the wonder and beauty and mystery of His Person (and of all persons).

Sixth, He tells me that He is well able to lead those that I have influenced in the past even though I now question some of what I taught them. Just as He is able to continually lead me forward in Truth, so He is able to lead them.

These reasons (and others) fill me with confidence in the Lord's ability to work with and lead His people no matter what we have been born into and have inherited related to mistaken mindsets about Him; and so, I don't spend much time or energy regretting the past...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts for Lent (10) - Authorized for Risk

This is the final post for this Easter season from Walter Brueggemann's Lent devotional,  A Way Other Than Our Own . We find ourselves i...