Saturday, December 10, 2016

December Prayers: Loving My 'Neighbor'

The following comments and prayer is taken from Prayers and Meditations of Therese of Lisieux:

"...we more often treat those around us as inconsequential than as holy. People can be irritating and mean-tempered and our instinctive reaction is to give as good as we get. Therese felt the same impulse but, clinging to the gospel, she returned good for evil."

Her prayer related to this:

"Lord, nothing you ask me to do seems as difficult as loving my 'neighbor.' Give me the strength not only to love when my 'neighbor' is most unlovable, but to find joy in doing so. Prevent me from giving way to the impatience and anger that wounds others. Help me to act on the knowledge that we are all created in your image. Through Christ our Lord. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts for Lent (10) - Authorized for Risk

This is the final post for this Easter season from Walter Brueggemann's Lent devotional,  A Way Other Than Our Own . We find ourselves i...